- Who is eligible to play for Royal Irish Rugby? We field teams at high, middle, and grade school levels. For high school, as long as your school does NOT have a rugby program, you are eligible to play for Royal Irish. Boys and girls from 4th grade to 8th grade can join one of our youth teams. Rugby Indiana allows 3rd graders to play up. Please visit www.RugbyIndiana.com for more details.
- Are you a traveling team? Yes. In 2022, our high school team also played in the Indianapolis area, attended tournaments and matches in Kentucky, Illinois, and Ohio, and played at the National Tournament in Elkhart, IN. Royal Irish played at previous Nationals in Utah, South Carolina, etc. The Midwest tournament and the state championship take place in Elkhart, IN. Youth teams play in the Indianapolis area but might travel to Elkhart for the state tournament.
- How much does it cost to play Rugby? Compared to other sports, Rugby is affordable. Payment options and need-based assistance is available. If your player wants to play rugby, don't let the fee be the reason. Please note that Rugby Indiana, our governing body, has a separate fee to cover insurance, refs, and other costs.
- Are there additional costs? We invite some players to participate in the National Championship. There is an additional fee for lodging and meals if you attend one of these matches. Thanks to our generous sponsors, we keep those fees as low as possible. For 2023, the National Championship will be in Indiana so expect these fees to be low.
- Do you hire buses for travel? No. All players must travel with one of our parent volunteers.
- What equipment is required to play Rugby?
- Travel warmup set (polo, pants, jacket).
- Two pairs of Canterbury Advantage shorts (navy and white), available through Amazon using the links on our registration page.
- Mouth guard.
- Soccer-type cleats.
- A scrum cap is optional.
- Canterbury Advantage shorts (navy and white) are available through Amazon using the links on our registration page.
- Mouth guard.
- Soccer-type recommended.
- Scrum caps are optional.
The club owns and provides game jerseys at no additional charge.
- How is the club organized? We are a 100% volunteer-run organization. Our governing body is the Royal Irish Rugby Society board consisting of an administrator, treasurer, secretary, head coaches, and parent liaison. The parent volunteer committee supports a variety of tasks during the active season. The alumni committee offers financial and other support to the program.